Vanilla Ice Cream
- 300ml water combined with 2tbsp soy powdered milk, to make the 'milk'.
- 2 tbsp gluten free custard powder or maize starch.
- 1/2 cups caster sugar.
- 2 tbsp gelatine powder or 1tsp agar.
- 200ml cups hot water.
- 1-2 tsp good vanilla extract.
- 300ml or a can of coconut cream, cooled in fridge overnight, liquid discarded (or you can reserve for other cooking)
- Gradually combine the 'milk' with the custard powder or starch and half the sugar to form a smooth paste. Continue combining all the 'milk' until fully mixed.
- Cook over a medium heat until custard thickens and evenly coats the back of a wooden spoon, then allow to boil for a further minute. Add vanilla.
- Strain the hot custard and allow to cool to room temp.
- Combine gelatine and hot water until dissolved, then add the remaining half of sugar and whip up with a beater until it forms “ribbons” or very soft peaks. Fold in with the custard mix before it sets.
- Beat coconut cream on high speed until it forms firm peaks like whipped cream, then fold this quickly and evenly into the custard and gelatine mix.
- Pour into a container and freeze until well set. No need to churn as this will scoop out smoothly and with a creamy texture.