Sweet Scones Option 2
- 1 Cup / 160g F.G. Roberts Self Raising Flour + Extra 1/4 cup SR Flour for dusting over the board when shaping.
- 2 Tbsp / 25g sugar
- 1 tsp / 5g salt
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup yoghurt
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (or you can use lemonade for sweet if you like, both result well).
Note: Combining the yoghurt and milk or lemonade acts like a buttermilk, helping to make the scones light and fluffy. Alternately you could use 1 full cup of buttermilk if available.
- Pre-heat oven to 180C.
- Combine the flour and dry ingredients.
- Now to the same bowl, add the egg, yoghurt and milk or lemonade, mixing lightly until just combined and not overworking (this is the key to keeping them light).
- Add 1/4 cup self raising flour to a board or work surface, using a spatula to tip all ingredients onto this.
- Gradually work together but do not knead or overwork (the scone dough should be quite sticky and just be covered with flour to make it non-stick for cutting or shaping).
- Now you can gather this into a thick round or rectangle and hand shape or cut square or round scones to desired size (if using a cutter, dust with a little flour).
- Place the scones next to one another on a lined tray. I like them to just come together during baking.
- Bake at 180C for 10-15 minutes, or until starting to become golden on the outside.