Cook with Sass – Pull Apart
Ingredients - For Dough
- 345 grams FG Roberts Traditional White Bread Mix
- 5 grams dry active yeast
- 5 grams olive oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 450ml warm water
- 50 grams salted butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- One whole roasted garlic bulb, mashed
Roast the Garlic
- Preheat your oven or air fryer to 200 celsius
- Using a sharp knife, cut about 1.5 cm from the top of the cloves to expose the individual cloves of garlic.
- Peel and discard the papery outer layers of the whole garlic bulb. Leave intact the skins of the individual cloves of garlic.
- Place the garlic heads in a baking pan, cut side up. (A muffin pan works great for this, as it keeps the garlic bulbs from rolling around.)
- Drizzle a couple teaspoons of olive oil over each exposed head, using your fingers to rub the olive oil over all the cut, exposed garlic cloves.
- Cover the bulb with foil and bake 30-40 minutes until the cloves are lightly browned and feel soft when pressed.
- Cool the garlic enough to handle without burning yourself. Use a small knife cut the skin slightly around each clove. Pull or squeeze the roasted garlic cloves out of their skins and set aside.
Make the Rolls:
- Heat oven to 210 celsius
- Lightly oil a 20cm round cake pan, bundt pan or other tray with sides, set aside.
- Place the warm water and sugar into a bowl.
- Sprinkle the yeast over the warm water, cover with a towel and allow to bloom.
- Once the yeast has bloomed it will look like a layer of thick cream on top of the water.
- In a separate large bowl, add the flour and make a well in the centre.
- Add the vinegar and oil and mix until a dough is formed.
- Don't worry! It will look a little shaggy at this stage.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Divide the dough into either 9 equal portions (or 24 if you prefer smaller serves)
- On a lightly floured work surface, form each piece of dough into a little ball.
- Arrange the balls in the prepared pan
- Cover the pan with lightly oiled cling wrap or a damp cotton towel.
- Place loaf in a warm place and allow to prove until double in size.
- Once double in size, brush lightly with olive oil
- Spritz lightly with water then place into the preheated oven with a pan of cold water in the bottom of the oven.
- Once in the oven, turn the temperature down to 200c and bake 13 minutes
- After 13 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 175c for a further 60 minutes.
- While the pull apart bakes, melt the butter. Stir in the salt, finely chopped fresh parsley and mashed roasted garlic.
- When the pull apart is ready, remove from the oven and transfer it to a wire rack. Brush liberally with the roasted garlic butter mixture.
- Allow to cool at least 30 minutes before serving. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.