Chocolate Ripple – Vanilla Buttercream
Ingredients - Chocolate Ripple
- 200g F.G. Roberts Plain flour
- 60g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 100g brown sugar
- 150g unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 egg
- 40g water
Ingredients – Vanilla Buttercream Icing
- 185 g butter room temperature
- 300 g (2 ¼ cups) icing sugar
- 2 tbs (30g) cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract optional
- 1-2 drops food colouring optional
Method - Chocolate Ripple
- Preheat oven to 180c degrees
- Line a baking tray with paper
- Beat butter and sugar until light and creamy
- Add the egg and water and lightly combine
- Add dry ingredients and mix until a soft smooth dough. This is a very soft mix that will resemble a mousse.
- Using a tablespoon, shape mixture into ball shapes – dampen your hands to assist with shaping
- Drop each biscuit onto a line tray and flatten slightly, leave about 2cm space around each biscuit to spread a little
- Bake for 10 minutes and leave to cool for at least 5 minutes on the tray before moving them to a wire rack to cool completely
Notes - These are easiest to mix with an electric beater, but you can still mix it by hand
Method – Vanilla Buttercream Icing
- Beat the room temperature butter with hand-held beaters or a stand-mixer (see notes) in a bowl until pale and fluffy (approximately 3-4 minutes).
- Slowly add the icing sugar, milk/cream and optional vanilla extract and food colouring and continue to beat until smooth and creamy.
- Spread the buttercream frosting over one side of a biscuit, then sandwich with another biscuit.
- Store the biscuits in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.