Bread and butter pudding
if you don’t have 8 thick slices left over, halve the recipe
- FG Roberts Traditional bread mix – 8 thick slices, crusts removed
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups milk
- 300ml pure cream
- 40g butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sultanas – or you can use jam if you don’t like sultanas.
- 2 tablespoons demerara sugar
- Vanilla ice-cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan forced. Grease a 5cm-deep, 17cm x 28cm (base) baking dish. Whisk eggs, caster sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, milk, and cream in a bowl.
- Spread both sides of each bread slice with butter. Cut each slice in half diagonally. Arrange half the bread in rows in prepared dish. Sprinkle with half the sultanas. Repeat with remaining bread and sultanas.
- Pour egg mixture over bread. Sprinkle with demerara sugar. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden and set. Serve with ice-cream.